3 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
4 flour tortillas (Note 1)
1 large avocado, halved and sliced
½ cup grated cheese (I used cheddar)
Salt and pepper
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add the bacon and cook until cooked to your liking. Remove bacon onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain excess fat from the skillet and wipe away/scrape off any black bits. Return to the stove over medium heat.
- Place a tortilla in the skillet. Place avocado slices around the rim of half the tortilla and thinner slices across the middle to form a “ring” to hold the egg – as per the photo below. Squish the pieces close together to seal them so egg does not leak.
- Crack an egg into the centre, sprinkle with bacon, cheese and season with salt and pepper. Fold the tortilla over and cook for 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. I usually cook 2 in the skillet.
- Flip, turning over the folded edge (i.e. slide the flip under the curved edge and flip over the folded edge). Cook the other side for 3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove from the skillet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve immediately, while hot!
- I prefer using flour tortillas for quesadillas because they get nice and crispy. Also, they don’t crumble or break apart when you fold them / cut them. But you can make these with corn tortillas to make them gluten free.
- This recipe is not suitable for freezing (even after cooking) because avocado does not freeze well.
Original recipe, more pictures, and nutrition information visit: Whole Egg, Bacon and Avocado Quesadilla @ recipetineats.com