This Ugly Sweater Cake shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
For the cake
1 yellow cake mix prepared according to package instructions
For the frosting
1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract use clear vanilla flavoring for whiter frosting
Red food coloring paste
For the decoration
1 package NESTLÉ® BUTTERFINGER® Jingle Bells
1 package NESTLÉ® CRUNCH® Jingles
Prepare cake according to package instructions. Let cool completely. If possible, refrigerate covered for a few hours to make it easy to work with when frosting, but you can skip this step if you’re in a hurry. Place cake on a large platter or cake board.
Make the frosting:
- Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer.
- Beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin or more cream if mixture is too thick. Reserve about 1 1/2 cups of frosting to keep white, then color the rest red. (Note: I used 2 heaping teaspoons of the “no taste” red food coloring paste. It looks like it isn’t red enough at first, but gets darker after it sits for awhile.)
- Reserve 1/3 cup of red frosting, then use the rest to frost the cake.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Meanwhile place half of the white frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a #5 tip and the other half of the frosting fitted with a #1M tip. Fill a third pastry bag fitted with a #3 tip with the remaining red frosting.
- Pipe a “V” shape at the top of cake with the #1M tip and then a line down the middle. Create string designs with the #5 tip. Roll out a 1/2″ x 1″ rectangle of green fondant for the label. Pipe the word “ugly” in red.
- Add the NESTLÉ® Jingles and holiday candies. Surround the base of the cake with the extra NESTLÉ® Jingles. Use chocolate chips for buttons.
- Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.