TO DIE FOR Thin Mint Brownies Recipe – Fudgy mint brownies topped with a mint buttercream frosting and chocolate ganache. The most incredible dessert that’s perfect for chocolate lovers!
18 ounce box brownie mix , plus ingredients on box
10 thin mint cookies or mint Oreos , chopped (optional)
1/4 cup butter , softened
2-3 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3-4 drops green food coloring
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 Tablespoons butter
OPTIONAL: 1/2 CUP CHOPPED ANDES MINTS FOR TOPPING
- Make brownie mix according to package. Fold in mint cookies if desired and pour into a greased 9×9 pan. Bake according to package directions. Check to make sure a toothpick comes clean. Once your brownies are done, let them cool for about an hour.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, cream, peppermint extract and green food coloring until fluffy. Spread mint frosting over cooled brownies with a spatula. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the chocolate ganache, combine butter and chocolate chips and melt in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave an additional 30 seconds if needed. Stir until smooth and then pour over green frosting and spread evenly by tipping pan from side to side.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting.
- Line your pan with parchment paper for easier removal.
- Add a few pieces of chopped mint cookies on top of brownie batter right before baking.
- The green food coloring is optional – feel free to omit if desired.
- Instead of the chocolate ganache, you could drizzle over melted chocolate.
- You could skip the ganache and top frosting with some extra chopped cookies.
- Let bars sit at room temp for 5-10 minutes prior to cutting to keep from cracking.
- To cut: Use a sharp knife to cut brownies into squares. For cleaner cuts, wipe the knife off with a paper towel each time you make a cut.
- Storage: Cover with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Cut into squares, then wrap each square in foil or plastic wrap. Place in an airtight container or freezer bag and store in freezer for 2-3 months.