2½ cups loosely packed pitted dates
1 1/2 cups walnuts
6 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp water
1/4 + 1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
¼ cup pure maple syrup (or raw agave)
2 tbsp vegetable or melted coconut oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Combine the dates, walnuts, 6 tbsp cocoa, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, water, and salt in a food processor.
- Process until completely smooth, scraping down as needed – It may seem dry at first, but don’t add any extra water.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan, or line the pan with parchment or wax paper.
- Transfer dough to pan and press very firmly until dough is evenly distributed in the pan. In a medium mixing bowl, combine remaining cocoa and vanilla extract with the maple syrup and oil.
- Stir until mixture forms a paste (this is the frosting). Spread evenly over dough in the baking pan.
- Refrigerate brownies for at least 2 hours, to set.
- Leftovers can stay covered at room temperature for a day, or up to 2 weeks in the fridge, or 1-2 months in the freezer.
Original recipe visit: The Ultimate Unbaked Brownies @ chocolatecoveredkatie.com