1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup mashed banana (1 large, 2 small)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/4 cup oat flour (oats ground in a blender)
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (or 1 teaspoon extract)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- Combine the flax and water and set aside to gel while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (minus vanilla extract if using) in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together banana, pumpkin, milk and syrup. Whisk in flax egg and pour wet ingredients into dry. Stir to thoroughly combine (the batter will be kind of thick, but still stirable and soft).
- Fill each cup ¾ of the way full. Add water to the ones that are unused. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with pumpkin seeds and quinoa flakes if desired.
- Bake on the center rack for 23 – 25 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. If desired, reheat in the toaster oven or in the microwave.
Original recipe and Nutrition Facts visit: Skinny Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins @ simplyquinoa.com