3/4 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons (104 grams) Dutch-process cocoa powder
2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons (80 grams) almond flour or almond meal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (use paleo baking powder, if necessary)
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (126 grams) coconut oil, melted
2/3 cup (213 grams) honey
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (160 grams) unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
for frosting: 1 or 1 1/2 batch paleo chocolate fudge frosting1
paleo decoration ideas: raspberries, strawberries, mini chocolate chips, homemade coconut sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F (175 °C) and line a muffin pan (or two) with 14 liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the cocoa powder, almond flour, baking powder, espresso powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the melted coconut oil, honey, applesauce, coconut sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the muffin liners, about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 24-28 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out mostly clean. A few moist crumbs or a little stickiness is okay, just not raw batter. These are super moist so if it comes out totally clean, they’re probably overdone.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. These do not taste very good straight out of the oven. I recommend letting them sit for 2 hours and then frosting. When you refrigerate them, they become denser, the way brownies get when you refrigerate them. Can be kept at room temperature, unfrosted, for up to 3 days or can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
1 batch of frosting will yield just enough for slightly more than 1 tablespoon of frosting per cupcake, which isn’t very much for frosting lovers. You may want to do 1 1/2 batches or even a double batch if you want to frost the cupcakes more generously. I used about 1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 batches) of frosting on mine.
Original recipe and more pictures visit: Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free) @ texanerin.com