This copycat recipe is so easy to make and tastes a million times better than the original!
yield: 8 SERVINGS
4 slices bacon, diced
1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
4 cups chicken broth
3 russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3 cups baby spinach
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Add Italian sausage to the skillet and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in sausage and spinach until spinach begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream until heated through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon.