Margarita Pie with a Pretzel Crust Recipe –A wonderful light, creamy grown-up dessert that is incredibly easy to make with just a few tasty ingredients. Not too sweet, and not too boozy, this is a must make for all your summer parties!
Yield: 8 servings
For the crust:
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups pretzel sticks
2 sheets of graham crackers (four squares)
For the filling:
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons tequila
1 1/2 tablespoons triple sec
1 cup heavy whipping cream whipped
3 drops green food coloring optional
For the topping:
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Lime zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with Pam, set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the pretzels and graham crackers until crushed. You will need enough to measure 1 1/4 cups of crushed pretzels and crackers. Combine the melted butter and sugar. Add the crushed pretzels and crackers, mix well. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie plate. Do not press too hard or it will be difficult to eat with a fork once frozen.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes in a preheated oven at 350F. Cool completely. If the crust slumps in the pan while baking, use a spoon to press the hot crust up the sides of the pan. Again, don’t press to hard as it is best not overly compacted.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat 1 cup heavy whipping cream until stiff with an electric mixer.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the condensed milk, lime juice, tequila and triple sec. Add the food coloring if desired (I did not use). Gently fold the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture until blended. Do not beat or whisk.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust and freeze at least 4 hours (overnight works best). Garnish with fresh lime zest and/or decorate with sweetened whipped cream.
- This pie is best cut when frozen and allowed to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Once frozen, transfer the pie to a container with a tight fitting lid or wrap to prevent freezer burn.
- You can also slice the frozen pie and place the pieces in an airtight container to store.
- Substitute equal parts orange juice if you don’t care for the tequila and triple sec.