Perfect combination of chocolate and vanilla in one cupcake. Marbled cupcakes topped with marble cream cheese frosting.
Servings: 12 cupcakes
4 egg whites room temperature
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup unseweet cocoa powder
1/4 cup buttermilk
8 oz cream cheese room temperature
1 1/2 cup powder sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder together and set aside.
- Make sure your other ingredients are ready.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites for a few seconds and slowly start pouring in sugar. Beat for 3-4 minutes, until white and fluffy.
- Start pouring in oil slowly as the eggs are still beating.
- Add vanilla and lower the speed to low.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and buttermilk in two parts, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Take out half the batter.
- Mix in cocoa powder and additional 1/4 cut buttermilk to the remaining batter in the mixer until just combines. Make sure to scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and mix until all combined.
- To make things easier on you, add batter to two separate piping bags and fill cupcake liners 3/4 full, using both bags at the same time, with chocolate and vanilla batter being side by side.
- Once all the cupcakes are filled, take a toothpick and swirl the batter a couple of times, to form marble texture.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting!
- Beat butter and cream cheese together, on medium-high speed, until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the speed to low and beat in powder sugar and vanilla.
- Turn up the speed back to medium-high and beat for about 3-4 minutes, until the frosting is light, smooth and fluffy.
- Take out half the frosting.
- On low speed, drizzle in melted chocolate and mix well, make sure to scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and mix until all even.
- Fill two separate piping bags with vanilla and chocolate frosting (cut off tips about 1/4 inch wide) and add them, side by side into one piping bag, fitted with a frosting tip.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!!