1 pound ground beef
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large bell pepper
about 3/4 of a large onion, diced (use more if you like sauted onion)
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt (You could cheat and just use 2 tbs of a chili spice mix in place of the 4 spices above.)
1 tsp Worcestershire
1 tbs of sugar or sugar substitute (12 carbs in a tbs of sugar, fyi)
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 cup of tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 tbs tomato paste
8 Bar S Franks sliced longways down the middle and cut in half
1 cup shredded cheddar or cheddar blend cheese (or more if you like a lot of cheese)
- Combine the ground beef, 2/3 of the chopped onions, peppers and garlic in large frying pan and saute until ground beef is browned. Drain fat.
- Add spices, worcestershire, sugar, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water to the pan. stir to combine and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Optional step, but totally makes it just like real hot dog chili: Using a food processor or immersion blender, process the chili until the beef is in very small pieces.
- Lay hot dogs flat on the bottom of a 7 x 9 casserole dish. Cover with chili. (you should have enough to reserve a bit for those that are eating regular hot dogs and want chili.) Spread 1 cup of cheese over chili and top with remaining onion.
- Bake at 400 F for about 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly!
Original recipe and more pictures visit: Low Carb Chili Dog Casserole Recipe @ scatteredthoughtsofacraftymom.com