The ultimate cupcake recipe for lemon lovers! These Lemon Cupcakes topped with light and fluffy lemon buttercream are easy to make and better than any store bought cupcakes.
Yield: About 30 Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
5 egg whites, room temperature
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 lemons, zested
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 cup cake flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the Frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cup powdered sugar
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 Tbsp heavy cream
- In small bowl, mix egg whites, 1/4 cup buttermilk and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Slowly add in egg white mixture. Beat in remaining buttermilk.
- Prepare cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners. Fill liners half full and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove and cool in pan 5 minutes then transfer to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat butter for 3-5 minutes until pale in color. Add powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice (about 2 Tbsp from fresh lemon) and cream. Beat for 3-5 minutes until fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes by filling a pastry bag with tip and pipe on the frosting.
*if you prefer a yellow cupcake, add 1-2 drops of yellow gel food coloring to give it a bright color!