Spring has sprung and it’s time for lemon, berry and s’mores themed desserts! These lemon cupcakes are made with a while cake mix, but you can use lemon or yellow. I just prefer using the white because I feel like I get a more “fresh” taste starting with a blank canvas. Cream cheese frosting tastes good on everything, and with a little hint of lemon you can’t go wrong!
1 box white cake mix
1/3 C. oil
1/2 C. fresh lemon juice
Zest of 2 lemons
1 C. sour cream
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 C. butter softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. lemon juice fresh
3-5 C. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
- Sift cake mix into a large bowl.
- Add oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, sour cream and eggs and stir until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Lemon cream cheese frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract, lemon juice and 2 C. powdered sugar.
- Continue to add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles.