For the cupcakes:
¾ cup (1½ sticks) salted butter, slightly softened
1¾ cup sugar
2½ tsp. baking powder
2½ cup cake flour
2½ tsp. vanilla
½ cup sour cream
1¼ cup whole milk
For the frosting:
2 sticks salted butter, slightly softened
1½ tsp. vanilla
½ cup heavy cream
3 cups powdered sugar
For the funnel cakes:
¼ teaspoon salt
1¼ teaspoon baking powder
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. white sugar
1⅓ cup milk
Vegetable oil (for frying)
½ cup powdered sugar (for funnel cake topping)
- Preheat oven to 375. Line 24 muffin tins with liners and set aside.
- The Cupcakes: In a medium bowl, mix together baking powder and cake flour. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine milk, sour cream, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium until fluffy and light in color, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add flour and milk mixture to the wet mixture by alternating between the two mixtures, a bit at a time. End with the flour mixture. Mix until incorporated. Mixture will be light and fluffy like marshmallow fluff.
- Fill prepared muffin tins ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove and cool on wire racks. Cupcakes will deflate slightly while cooling.
- The Frosting: In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter, cream, and vanilla until smooth.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, beating until just combined.
- Increase speed to high and beat until fluffy and smooth, about a minute. If frosting is too thin, add a bit more powdered sugar.
- The Funnel Cakes: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together milk, sugar and eggs.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth. The batter should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Pour oil in a skillet. The oil should be about an inch high. Heat until it reaches 375 or until your batter sizzles when you drop a small bit in.
- Using a funnel dispenser or some sort of squeeze bottle, pour batter in the pan in small circular motions and criss cross across. The size of your funnel cakes should be small so they fit on the top of your cupcakes.
- Cook in the oil until the bottom turns a dark golden, then flip over and do the same. Drain funnel cakes on paper towels.
- Sprinkle or sift powdered sugar over the tops of the cooling funnel cakes.
- Frost your cooled cupcakes, then top with pieces of funnel cake.
Original recipe and more pictures visit: Funnel Cake Cupcakes @ themomwho.com