1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup chicken broth vegetable broth, or water will work
1/3 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
3 cups (~2.5 ounces) fresh spinach
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 Granny Smith apple or favorite variety of apple
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Optional: handful of feta cheese
Store-bought Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette OR Recipe below:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup raspberry wine vinegar
1-2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Salt and pepper optional
- Rinse your quinoa in a fine mesh sieve to remove the bitter saponin coating.
- In a small pot combine the quinoa and chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water. I always use chicken broth with the quinoa, but if you are vegetarian the other two will work great.
- Follow package directions to cook the quinoa.
- Meanwhile, add the sliced almonds and sunflower seeds in a single layer to a completely dry skillet (don’t add any oil) and place on medium-high heat (don’t want it too hot or they will burn). Stir the nuts and seeds every 15 seconds for about 1-2 minutes or until the color slightly darkens and they start to smell good. Watch these carefully as they can go from perfectly toasted to burned quickly!
- Chop up the apple (peel if desired, I like to leave it on) and toss it with the lemon juice.
- Remove the quinoa and allow to completely cool (I put it in the fridge).
- Mix together the spinach, dried cranberries, chopped apple, and completely cooled quinoa.
- Toss with the dressing (use as much or as little as desired; you’ll likely have a bit extra to use on another salad!) and top with the toasted almonds and sunflower seeds. If desired, add in some feta cheese or another cheese you enjoy!
- To make the dressing: Combine all of the ingredients in an immersion blender or small food processor. I start with 1 tablespoon of sugar and add more if needed. Taste and adjust to personal preference (more sugar, more jam, salt or pepper added, etc.)
Original recipe visit: Easy Almond Apple Quinoa Salad @ chelseasmessyapron.com