These Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Cupcakes are a dream of mine come true! There’s cinnamon in the cupcake batter and layers of cinnamon sugar in the cupcake! Then, they’re topped with cinnamon frosting and sprinkled with a little more cinnamon and sugar. I couldn’t stay away from them!
Yield: 14-16 Cupcakes
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
3 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
CINNAMON SUGAR FROSTING
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1–2 tbsp water or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, egg whites, vanilla, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan.
- Place 1 tablespoon of batter into each cupcake liner, spread evenly.
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of cinnamon sugar onto batter.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7.
- Add one more large tablespoon of batter to each cupcake liner.
- Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon sugar on top of each cupcake if you want.
- Liners should be about half full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs
- Allow to cool for 1 minute, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To make the icing, beat the shortening and butter until smooth.
- Slowly add 3 cups of powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Mix in the cinnamon, vanilla extract and 1 tbsp water.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add more water to get the right consistency, then ice the cupcakes.