2 to 3 cups grated zucchini
7 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3 eggs, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1½ cups all purpose flour
½ c wheat flour (can use all AP flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp light corn syrup
¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour your bundt pan. Set aside. (Instead of flour, use cocoa powder if you have it!)
- Place grated zucchini in a large kitchen towel. Bring up the four corners and twist. Squeeze the towel to extract all the liquid from the zucchini, or as much as you can. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, applesauce, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa powder.
- Remove two tablespoons of the flour mixture and toss chocolate chips with it. This will keep the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the cake while baking.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter and stir just until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the zucchini and chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake the cake for 60 to 70 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool for ten minutes before inverting onto a plate.
- Combine butter, chocolate chips, and corn syrup in a microwaveable dish. I use my Pyrex glass measuring cup because it makes it easy to drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Heat in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals at 50% power, stirring in between, until nicely melted.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Drizzle over the top of the cooled cake. Enjoy!
Original recipe visit: Chocolate Zucchini Cake @ momontimeout.com