These Chocolate Swirled Peanut Butter Blast Cupcakes are a chocolate peanut butter lover’s dream! They’re the perfect cupcakes to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Yield: About 16 Cupcakes
The Best Chocolate Cake Ever
1 box devil’s food cake mix
1 small pkg Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups mini chocolate chips
Peanut Butter Cake
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 box butter cake mix
2/3 cup water
Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Sweet Milk Chocolate Ganache
1.5 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar
For the Chocolate Cake
- In a very large bowl, mix together everything except chocolate chips until well combined. Batter will be thick. Stir in the chocolate chips.
For the Peanut Butter Cake
- In the workbowl of a mixer, combine 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1/2 cup butter. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition. Add approximately 1/3 of the cake mix and 1/3 of the water, and mix on low speed until just combined. Repeat 2 more times with remaining cake mix and water.
For the Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
- Place the peanut butter, butter, sugar, cream and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. If necessary, add more cream, one tablespoon at a time, beating for 1-2 minutes after each addition until desired consistency is reached.
For the Sweet Milk Chocolate Ganache
- Place chocolate chips in a glass or heat-proof bowl. In a medium saucepan, whisk the heavy cream, vanilla, and sugar and bring to a simmer. Pour over the chocolate chips, let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk until completely smooth. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour or until the ganache reaches a thick, frosting consistency.
Note: I warned you it was sweet 🙂 I absolutely love it and think it’s perfect the way it is — plain or when paired with the peanut butter buttercream above. But you can leave out the sugar and/or use a darker chocolate if you’ve ever not liked a dessert because it was “too sweet”. Me, personally, that’s never happened! 🙂
For the Cupcake Assembly
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and line standard-sized muffin tins. Add approximately 2 tbsp of peanut butter cake batter first, then 2 tbsp of chocolate cake batter to each tin. I used this cookie scoop from OXO, found at Target. Use a spoon or knife to gently fold and swirl cake batter. For STANDARD cupcakes, bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes. For MINI cupcakes, add approximately 2 teaspoons of each batter to mini muffin tins, and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
- Top with crushed mini Reese’s cups.