Chocolate Pie Recipe – My husband’s very favorite chocolate pie of all time: Basic crust, chocolate pudding filling. Done!
YIELDS: 10 servings
1 whole pie crust, baked and cooled (or can use Oreo or graham cracker crust)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
3 c. whole milk
4 whole egg yolks
6 1/2 oz. weight bittersweet chocolate, chopped finely
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. butter
Whipped cream, for serving
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir or whisk together.
- Pour in milk and egg yolks, and whisk together.
- Stir over medium heat until the mixture just barely comes to a boil and becomes thick, about 6-8 minutes (maybe less, maybe more; just watch it!) The second it starts to bubble and thicken (note:
- It should be thick like pudding!) remove it from the heat. Add the chocolate, vanilla, and butter, and stir until everything is beautifully combined.
- Pour the pudding into the pie crust (if there is extra, spoon it into small dishes) and place in the fridge to chill for 4 hours uncovered.
- Cut into slices and serve with whipped cream!