With a soft dark chocolate cookie base and peppermint kiss, these Chocolate Peppermint Blossoms will be the most beautiful cookie on your Christmas plate!
1/2 cup butter*,, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour**, (240 grams)
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Special Dark Cocoa)**
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-3 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
34 Candy Cane Kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour (measure this & cocoa powder by spooning into measuring cup and leveling off), cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and both sugars together in the bowl of a stand mixer until fluffy. Mix in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Add the dry ingredients a little at a time while mixing on slow until combined.
- Mix in the milk until smooth and dough comes together (I only use 1 tablespoon). (If you chose to use a total of 3/4 cup butter and your dough it difficult to roll, refrigerate for 1-2 hours.)
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls (about 1 tablespoon) and then roll in the 1/4 cup sugar. Place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet (preferably lined with a Silpat mat). Bake for 10 minutes.
- When done, immediately move cookies onto a cooling rack or plate.
- Let them cool for 6 minutes and then gently press the kisses into the top. (If you do it earlier or leave them on the hot pan the kiss will get too warm and lose its shape.)
*A couple readers had better success with the addition of 1/4 cup butter.
**Be sure to fluff flour and cocoa powder and then spoon into measuring cup.