FOR THE COOKIES:
1/2 cup unsalted butter softened slightly
1/2 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened
3/4 cup finely grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
4 ounces cream cheese softened
4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
1 heaping cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
FOR THE COOKIES:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Beat butter and sugars for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat to combine, scraping the bowl if necessary.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low until just combined. Stir in the oats, coconut, carrots and walnuts by hand.
- See note below regarding the option to chill the dough. Scoop the dough evenly into 2 teaspoon sized mounds and place a couple inches apart on the cookie sheets. You want to ensure that the cookies will be similar in size since the cookies will be sandwiched.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until golden brown and still slightly soft in the center. Rotate your cookie sheets halfway through the baking time to ensure even baking. Cool the cookies completely on the baking sheets and fill with frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- Beat cream cheese and butter for several minutes, until combined. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat for a couple more minutes until smooth and creamy. If the frosting appears too thin, add a little more powdered sugar or place it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to slightly firm up
- These cookies are best within 1-2 days of making them. Store them in the refrigerator and bring to room temp before serving.
Original recipe and notes of recipe visit: Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies @ celebratingsweets.com