1 very large sweet potato*, or 2 medium ones, peeled and diced – about 2 cups diced
1 large pink lady or granny smith apple, diced (peeling optional)
2 tbsp + 2 tsp ghee or coconut oil – separated
½ tsp fine grain sea salt
¼-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp organic coconut sugar** – optional, omit for Whole30
- Heat a large, seasoned cast iron pan (or any heavy skillet that won’t stick) over medium heat and add 2 tbsp of the ghee*
- Once the pan is heated, add the diced sweet potatoes and sprinkle evenly with the sea salt and stir/toss to coat the potatoes cooking fat and salt.
- Cover the pan, using any cover that is large enough, for about 2 minutes. Uncover and stir, lower the heat a bit if the potatoes are starting to brown too much. Recover and cook for another 2-4 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Uncover the pan and continue to cook, stirring, until the potatoes are light brown all over.
- Add the diced apples plus the 2 tsp ghee and stir to combine. If adding the coconut sugar*, do this now.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes or until the apples and potatoes are brown. Adjust the heat of your stovetop as necessary to avoid burning.
- Once apples and potatoes are toasty, remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon. Let cool a bit and then serve warm. Enjoy!
Original recipe and notes of recipe visit: Caramelized Sweet Potato Apple Hash Browns @ paleorunningmomma.com