Coffee and chocolate have to be two of my favorite things in the entire world. So a cupcake that combines the intoxicating aroma of cappuccino with the rich sweetness of chocolate is bound to be a winner in my book! These yummy mini cakes not only taste and smell amazing, but look so beautiful too! The golden caramel color of the cake along with the glossy, white frosting on top makes them almost too pretty to eat!
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate finely chopped
1 box yellow cake mix
1 1/3 cups sugar
5 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate finely grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Prepare yellow cake mix as directed on package. In a small bowl, combine instant coffee and 2 teaspoons hot water. Stir until coffee is fully dissolved and add to the cake batter along with the 4 ounces chopped chocolate. Stir to combine.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Let cupcakes cool in pans 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Set a large bowl over (not in) a pot of barely simmering water. Add sugar, egg whites, and cream of tartar and whisk constantly until mixture is frothy and sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and transfer to an electric mixer. Beat on medium until soft peaks form, about 4 minutes. Then increase the speed to high and beat until whites form medium-stiff, glossy peaks, about 3 minutes. Transfer frosting to a piping bag or large zip-top bag with the tip cut off. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle finely grated chocolate on top.
- If you don’t drink coffee, pero makes a great substitute!