Butterscotch Cashew Bars are a delicious blend of sweet shortbread, rich shortbread, and crunchy cashews.
YIELD: 24 2-INCH BARS
1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (200g) firmly packed light brown sugar
1 & 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 & 1/2 cups (300g) all-purpose flour
11 ounces (312g) butterscotch chips
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon water
2 cups (280g) roasted salted whole cashews
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9″x 13″x 2″ pan with cooking spray.
- Using two sheets of parchment paper, line the pan’s width and length, creating a parchment “sling.” Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, brown sugar, and salt for 1 to 1 & 1/2 minutes. Decrease mixer speed to low and add the flour. Mix just until combined. Lightly press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Poke holes in the dough with a fork.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the crust is a golden color. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, stir together the butterscotch chips, corn syrup, and water. Stir until the mixture comes to a simmer and the butterscotch chips are melted. Pour over the crust.
- Sprinkle the cashews over the butterscotch caramel. Bake for 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. After cooling, remove from pan and use a very sharp knife to cut into bars.